FEMA adds 3 Arkansas Counties to Disaster Declaration

CENTRAL ARKANSAS-- Eight days after deadly tornadoes tore through central Arkansas, new damage estimates are in.

According to Governor Mike Beebe's office, as of Monday, May 5th, the storms damaged 825 homes destroying 337 of them, including 308 homes in Faulkner county.

Meanwhile, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has added Pulaski, Randolph and White counties to the federal disaster declaration. Independence county also asked for federal assistance but did not receive it.

Now, Arkansans in Pulaski, Randolph and White counties whose property was destroyed or damaged in the April 27 tornado and severe storms may now apply for federal and state disaster assistance.

The three counties were added Monday, May 5, to the major disaster declaration issued April 29 for Faulkner County. Homeowners, renters and business owners in those counties may now register for state and federal assistance with (FEMA) and report their uninsured or under insured property damage or destruction from the storm.

“The April 27 storms upended the lives of hundreds of Arkansans - homeowners, renters and business owners - in these counties,” said State Coordinating Office David Maxwell. “Many need assistance, and the addition of their counties to the disaster declaration means we can give them a helping hand.”

“This action allows us to help many more eligible tornado survivors in Arkansas,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Timothy J. Scranton.

“We urge survivors in all four counties now designated for Individual Assistance to register with FEMA as soon as possible. We want to help, but survivors have to register to start the process.”

Disaster assistance for uninsured and under insured individuals may include:

Grants to help pay for temporary housing and emergency home repairs to make a home habitable;

Grants for serious disaster-related expenses not covered by insurance;

Low-interest disaster loans from the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA).

FEMA cannot duplicate insurance payments, but under insured applicants may receive help after their insurance claims have been settled.

Registering with FEMA is required for federal aid, even if the person has already registered with another disaster-relief organization or local community or church organization. FEMA registrants must use the name that appears on their Social Security cards. Applicants will be asked to provide:

Social Security number

Address of the damaged home or apartment

Description of the damage

Information about insurance coverage

A current contact telephone number

An address where they can get mail

Bank account and routing numbers if they want direct deposit of any financial assistance.

Survivors can register here

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

  • KNWA - Northwest Arkansas News

  • Fox 24 News

  • NWA Weather Authority

  • Razorback Nation

  • KNWA News

  • Fox24 News

  • Razorback Nation

  • KNWA Northwest Arkansas News Mobile App

  • NWA Weather Authority Mobile App

  • Hogville for Sports Mobile App