The scammer, often calling from an 876 (Jamaica) area code, will often know the victim's home address, and will often instruct the victim to go to a local store to purchase a pre-paid card called Green Dot MoneyPak to use to pre-pay taxes owed on the prize. In some cases the scammers provide a toll-free number that, when called, mimics the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery phone message.
ARKANSAS -- The Arkansas Scholarship Lottery says beware of false phone call from folks claiming you won the lottery.
The organization has received several reports of someone claiming to represent the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery calling people to say they have won lottery prizes. The caller will often know the victim's home address, and may tell the person to go to a local store to purchase a pre-paid card called Green Dot MoneyPak to use to "pre-pay taxes owed on the prize."
The scammers even provide a toll-free callback number that, when called, mimics the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery phone message.
To protect yourself, Arkansas Scholarship Lottery officials say remember: remember: You will never be asked to make a payment of any money in order to claim a prize
Also look for these warning signs:
- The Arkansas Scholarship Lottery typically does not call people to tell them that they've won, except in contests that the person has intentionally entered.
- Never provide any personal or financial information to someone over the phone unless you initiate the call or are certain the caller is legitimate, especially Social Security numbers, bank account numbers, and credit card numbers.
- If you receive a call from someone claiming to be from the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery, Powerball or Mega Millions, be on your guard.
- You can always call the Arkansas Scholarship Lottery Security Hotline at 1-888-606-6292 for more information or to check the legitimacy of such claims.
- This scam has been reported to the Consumer Protection Division of the Arkansas Attorney General’s Office.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.