Recipe: Vampire Bites
-1 1/2 cups flour
-3/4 teaspoon baking soda
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
-1/2 cup butter, softened
-1/2 cup packed brown sugar
-red food coloring
-1/4 cup red decorator's sugar
-24 MILKY WAY MINIS
1. Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees & line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a medium bowl combine 1 1/2 cups of flour, 3/4 teaspoon of baking soda and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer, add 1/2 cup of softened butter and begin mixing until smooth.
4. Then 1/2 cup of brown sugar to the butter and continue mixing until smooth.
5. Add 1 egg.
6. Add the flour/baking soda/cinnamon mixture next, adding slowly and mixing until smooth.
7. Lastly, to complete the dough, add enough red food coloring to make red dough.
8. Remove mixing bowl from mixer, cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
9. After a minimum of 2 hours, remove dough and roll out to about a quarter inch thick on a floured surface. Use a lip shaped cookie cutter, or cut into cookies into lip shapes. Place each cookie on lined cookie sheets.
10. Sprinkle red decorator's sugar over all the cookies and bake at 375 degrees for 7-10 minutes.
11. Remove from the oven and press 1 MIKLY WAY MINI in the center of each cookie while cookies are hot. Let cool completely.
12. After cookies are cool, use vanilla frosting to make 2 fangs over each cookie. Serve.
Makes about 24 cookies.
Steven Brooks is the Executive Chef at Springdale Country Club. Chef Brooks offers monthly cooking classes at the club.
For nutritional information, check out the recipe at brightideas.com. (http://www.brightideas.com/bright_idea.aspx?ID=52)
Shot in the home of Dr. and Mrs. Randy Lais of Rogers, AR.