Recipe: Happy Face Pops
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Bake Time: 12-14 minutes
Decoration Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 12 cookies
-1/4 cup M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies
-1 package (18oz.) prepared sugar cookie dough or Chef Brooks' Sugar Cookie Recipe*
-1 tablespoon flour
-1 tube decorative white icing
-12 (6-inch) lollipop sticks
-1 (3-inch) round cookie cutter
-12 pieces STARBURST Fruit Chews (optional)
-1 container white frosting (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Roll cookie dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
3. Press out 3-inch cookies with cookie cutter and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
4. Carefully lift the bottom of the cookies and slip 1-1/2 inches of the lollipop stick underneath the dough. Press dough around the stick.
5. Bake the cookies in oven for 12-14 minutes. Let cookies cool completely before decorating.
6. If frosting the cookies, mix frosting with a few drops of food coloring for different colors. Then place M&M's, STARBURSTS, and other candies on cookies.
7. If you are not frosting cookies, use white frosting as the "glue" to stick candies in happy face patterns.
*Chef Brooks' Perfect Sugar Cookies
-2 cups flour
-1/4 teaspoon salt
-1 teaspoon baking soda
-3/4 cup salted butter, softened
-3/4 cup granulated sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the flour and salt with a wire whisk. In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed.
3. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat until well mixed. Scrape down sides of bowl, and then add the flour mixture. Blend on low speed just until combined. Do not over mix.
4. Gather dough into a ball. Flatten the ball into a disk and wrap tightly with plastic wrap, then refrigerate 1 hour or until firm.
5. On a floured surface, roll out dough to a 1/4-inch thickness. Use your favorite cookie cutters to cut dough into desired shapes and place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
6. Bake 7-10 minutes, being careful not to brown. Immediately transfer cookies with a spatula to a cool, flat surface.
Perfect Frosting Ingredients
-5 tablespoons flour
-1 cup whole milk
-1 cup butter (room temperature)
-1 cup sugar
-1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Mix flour and milk together in a double boiler over medium heat, stirring constantly with a whisk, until a thick paste forms. Cool mixture completely (You can use the fridge or freezer to speed it up).
2. Cream butter at high speed until it is light and creamy. Add the sugar and blend until fluffy.
3. Take a generous scoop of the sugar/butter mixture and add it to the cooled flour/milk mixture and blend it well.
4. Add all of the flour/milk mixture to the sugar/butter mixture and beat until fluffy and light. Finally, add vanilla and mix well.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.