Fire Marshal Mark Trollinger says a chimney and a furnace caused 2 fires last week, and he wants people to prepare for Winter with safety in mind. He says it's important to have fireplaces, wood stoves and heating units cleaned and inspected before using them. He also wants people to put ashes in a bucket on a concrete surface for several days before dumping them out.
"Last year we had 4 houses actually burn to the ground, because they didn't put their ashes out properly," Trollinger says.
The fire marshal says space heaters are also a common cause of fires, and wants people to make sure they have at least 3 feet of clearance from anything that can burn like drapes or blankets.