At least one scam was identified on a crowd-funding website where people can solicit donations for any purpose.
He's got these five ways to make sure storm-relief donations go to those who need it most:
1. Confirm the validity of the charity. Go to ArkansasAG.gov for a list of those charities registered with the state of Arkansas.
2. Be cautious of donating to sites promoted solely through social media.
3. Double-check crowd-funding sites. These accounts are easy for scammers to create.
4. Give to a trusted organization. Local churches and relief groups like the American Red Cross and Salvation Army are already on the ground helping those affected.
5. Make donations through a secure website. A simple way to check for security is to make sure that “https” is listed in the URL (web address).