76°F
Sponsored by

Poison Prevention in Your Home

KNWA -- Helpful reminders to keep your family safe from household poisons.
KNWA -- Dr. Chris Allbritton is a pharmacist in Fayetteville and works closely with the poison hotline.

He knows first hand, accidents happen.

"Usually our biggest calls are those that are less than 6 years of age, they've ingested something and have a question," Allbritton, with the Arkansas Pharmacists Association said. 

Take a look at your kitchen and bathroom counters, even things like perfume with a high alcohol content could cause harm to your kid if swallowed.
   
While many families know to keep household cleaning supplies either locked away or at least 6 feet out of reach for curious kids, that only secures the inside of your home.

"People often forget about the things when they go outside the house though. In your garage there's things like your windshield wiper fluid a few sips of a kid drinking wind shield wiper fluid almost always leads to hospitalization," he said.

Because of these situations, make sure you keep substances is in their original container so you know what chemicals your child swallowed.

Dr. Allbritton said that stage ends around 7 years old, but then teenagers start looking for something different to get into.

"A lot of people will want to try to hold on to antibiotics or pain medications, but unfortunately a lot of those end up getting in the hands of a teenager," he said.

For the safety of both kids and teens, lock your medicine cabinet and get rid of unused prescriptions.

"You have to think about it all the time, but we need to make sure we keep our kids safe."

In case of emergency,  Allbritton said always call the Arkansas poison hotline at 1-800-222-1222.

Is it candy or medicine? Check out the pictures above.

 
Page: [[$index + 1]]
comments powered by Disqus

More Local News