October is fire prevention and safety awareness month. The importance of the month hits closer to home than ever, after the Poe family faced a tragedy no one could have ever expected.
"He came into our lives like a firecracker. A spark of energy, life, enthusiasm, he just was an amazing, amazing little boy," Jerilyn Poe said.
Five-year-old Brenden Steele Poe was a boy who loved to play games and had a love for sneaking midnight snacks.
"Well that particular night, he apparently had gone in and gotten his fruit snacks, went back into his room and closed his door, and when he did, the lock button was one of those push locks and he apparently had locked it and we didn't know it," she said.
Not soon after, Jeriyln woke up to an apartment full of smoke. A fire had ignited by a space heater in Brenden's bedroom.
"We don't know if the space heater got turned over, we don't know if it was old and it sparked, we don't know what happened. It as very, very thick. I tried to get back in to his room and was unsuccessful."
This Valentine's Day will mark three years since his passing and now the Poe family has made fire safety their mission.
"We remind them to check those smoke detectors to be cautious, conscience and be alert, because I tell you what, you never think it'll happen to you,"
A message that can save a life in memory of Brenden.
"That is our prayer, that he is spreading the word about fire safety. We, still on earth, can spread that fire safety awareness as well," she said.
Jerilyn hopes by sharing her story she can raise awareness of the importance of fire safety. In fact, fire departments across Northwest Arkansas will provide and install smoke detectors at no cost to residents.