of year there is an upturn in burglaries and thefts.
A press release states, criminals know that you have been Christmas shopping
and also know that many folks take advantage of the holiday season to get out of town.
The Sebastian County Sheriff's Office offered these tips to help keep you
protected during the season:
- Make a special point to ensure that doors and windows are locked and secure, even if
you are going to be out for a short while.
- Be cautious if you are going to be away from your home for an extended period.
Let your neighbors and family know of your absence. Have someone get your mail
and not let daily newspapers build up on your driveway. Consider putting an automatic
timer on lights. Do not post of Facebook your travel plans.
- Keep holiday gifts away from windows where a prowler might easily see them.
Keep expensive gifts locked away and out of sight.
- If you are keeping an eye on your neighbors house and you see someone or a vehicle that
does not belong, do not hesitate to call 911.
- Beware of scams this time of year. Criminals know that folks are in a giving mood. If it does not
sound right, it is not right. If they are vague about details, it is because there are no details.
The Sebastian County Sheriff's Office will have increased patrols of residential areas to help
combat the criminals during this time of year.