1. Never leave alcoholic drinks unattended where pets can reach them. The fruity cocktail you are sipping can poison your pet. When ingested, alcohol can send animals into a coma or even cause fatal respiratory failure.
2. Only use insect repellent or sunscreen on your pet that is specifically designed for animal use.
3. Always keep dangerous items such as matches, lighter fluid, glow jewelry, citronella candles, insect coils, and oil products out of your pet's reach.
4. Do not use fireworks around your pet. Loud firework displays cause stress for animals. Instead, keep your pet safe from the noise in a quiet, escape-proof area of your home.
5. Keep your pets on their normal diet. As tempting as it may be, changing your pets diet for even one meal can cause many digestive issues. Foods such as chocolate, coffee, onions, avocado, grapes, salt and yeast dough can all be potentially toxic to animals.
To visit the ASPCA site, click here.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.