U.S. Man Wins Boston Marathon for First Time in 30 Years

KNWA/FOX 24 -- One year after the bombing at the Boston Marathon, at least 36,000 runners lined up in waves at the start.

The United States' Meb Keflezighi, 38, crossed the finish line to become the first American man to win the event since 1983, race officials tweeted. His unofficial time is 2:08:37, according to the race's Facebook page.

This year's race has 9,000 more runners than last year's, and an unprecedented crowd was expected to gather, officials have said.

Officials have worked hard to make sure security is very tight Monday. Backpacks are not allowed on the course this year, said Kurt Schwartz, director of the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency.

Costumes that cover the face, containers with more than 1 liter of liquid, and bulky clothes such as vests with pockets are also prohibited.

Runner's World is carrying a list of the men and women who are expected to perform best.

Information via CNN


More Stories

Don't Miss

  • Text Alerts & Sports Scores
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
  • Contests
    Copyright 2017 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest News

  • KNWA - Northwest Arkansas News

  • Fox 24 News

  • NWA Weather Authority

  • Razorback Nation

  • KNWA News

  • Fox24 News

  • Razorback Nation

  • KNWA Northwest Arkansas News Mobile App

  • NWA Weather Authority Mobile App

  • Hogville for Sports Mobile App