Ask an Expert: Robinson Law Firm what to do after a car accident?

What should I do if I've been in a car accident?

"The first thing you want to do if you've been in an automobile accident is call the police," said Jon Robinson from Robinson Law firm. "Make sure that the officers get there that they take statements of you and the other parties. At that point, there will be an exchange of information, which includes insurance, drivers' license, phone numbers and things of that nature. Then, you need to see if you need to get your property damage fixed, or if you have been injured.

"If you have been injured at the scene, please understand that you need to tell the officer that you have been injured and that you need medical attention, or sometimes the next day, you'll be sore and you'll seek medical attention that next day or maybe even two days later. Go to the emergency room, call your family physician, get to a doctor if you think that you have been injured. If you have any signs or symptoms of numbness or tingling anywhere in your arms or legs, make sure that you get to a physician immediately.

"At that point, you may want to go ahead and contact an attorney or contact the person who is at fault, their insurance company. Once you contact the insurance company, they will ask you questions about your injuries, and you can deal with that on your own, or you can hire an attorney to help you with that process. They will know who to contact, how to deal with the insurance company." 

Don't Miss

  • KNWA - Northwest Arkansas News

  • Fox 24 News

  • NWA Weather Authority

  • Razorback Nation

  • KNWA News

  • Fox24 News

  • Razorback Nation

  • KNWA Northwest Arkansas News Mobile App

  • NWA Weather Authority Mobile App

  • Hogville for Sports Mobile App