ID Theft: Who to Call First

NORTHWEST ARKANSAS -- If you believe you may be affected by the nationwide hospital data breach, check out these tips from the FDIC.
First and foremost, call your bank and credit card companies. Let them know what's happened and that you may need to close current accounts and open new ones.

Then call police. You'll want to file a report detailing what happened, and get a copy for yourself, which will help clear up any questions from financial institutions.

Call all three major credit bureaus, too. They can place a fraud alert on your file to monitor any new accounts or charges.
Here are the numbers for their fraud departments:
  • Equifax at (800) 525-6285
  • Experian at (888) 397-3742
  • Trans Union at (800) 680-7289

And finally, contact the Federal Trade Commission. FTC counselors can help walk you through this entire process and lodge your complaint with the federal government. Just call 877-IDTHEFT (438-4338) or CLICK HERE.

CLICK HERE for more identity theft help from the FDIC.

More Stories

Don't Miss

Latest News

  • KNWA - Northwest Arkansas News

  • Fox 24 News

  • NWA Weather Authority

  • Razorback Nation

  • KNWA News

  • Fox24 News

  • Razorback Nation

  • KNWA Northwest Arkansas News Mobile App

  • NWA Weather Authority Mobile App

  • Hogville for Sports Mobile App