Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Arkansas Baseball Drops Series Opener at No. 10 Ole Miss
OXFORD, Miss. - The Arkansas baseball team (29-19, 10-12 SEC) rallied back from an early deficit Friday evening on the road, but No. 10 Ole Miss (34-13, 14-8) held on for the 3-2 victory in the series-opener at Swayze Field.
Trailing 3-0 heading to the fifth inning, Arkansas put together some two-out magic when Eric Fisher and Bobby Wernes provided a pair of singles and Tyler Spoon came to the dish and delivered a two-strike triple to the gap in right center to plate two runs and make it 3-2.
The Razorbacks had chances to tie the game later in the fifth inning, but Arkansas left the bases loaded and stranded two more runners in scoring position in the sixth inning. Spoon’s triple proved to be the last hit of the game for the Razorbacks, who dropped their 11th one-run game of the year.
Trey Killian continued to put together an impressive sophomore campaign, tossing his SEC-leading fourth complete game, allowing three runs on nine hits and striking out five. He has allowed three earned runs or less in eight of his 10 starts this season.
Fisher paced the offense with his seventh multi-hit game of the year to extend his hitting streak to six games, while Wernes added two hits and a run scored.
Game two of the series is set for Saturday afternoon at 2:15 p.m. and will be televised on Fox Sports Network and ESPN3.
For more information on Arkansas baseball, follow @RazorbackBSB on Twitter.
· Trey Killian threw his SEC-leading 4th complete game this season. Three of those have come on the road and two of them against ranked opponents.
· Jake Wise threw out his SEC-leading 19th and 20th base stealers of the year. He has thrown out 50-percent of base stealers this season.
· Eric Fisher extended his hitting streak to a season-high six games.
· Arkansas moved 40-35 all-time against Ole Miss, including 19-15 in Oxford.
· The Razorbacks played their 17th one-run game of the year.
How They Scored
· Arkansas 0, Ole Miss 1; Bottom 3: Auston Bousfield singled up the middle; Braxton Lee scored from second base.
· Arkansas 0, Ole Miss 2; Bottom 4: J.B. Woodman doubled to left center; Will Allan scored from second base.
· Arkansas 0, Ole Miss 3; Bottom 4: Will Jamison singled up the middle; J.B. Woodman scored from second base.
· Arkansas 2, Ole Miss 3; Top 5: Tyler Spoon tripled to right center; Eric Fisher scored from second base, Bobby Wernes scored from first base.