Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Arkansas Baseball Falls 7-4 at No. 10 Ole Miss
By Chris Frye | firstname.lastname@example.org
OXFORD, Miss. - The Arkansas baseball team (29-20, 10-13 SEC) scored four first-inning runs Saturday afternoon, but No. 10 Ole Miss (35-13, 15-8) bounced back and rallied for a 7-4 victory at Swayze Field to clinch the series.
The Razorbacks were swinging hot bats in the first inning, stringing together six consecutive hits to take an early 4-0 lead. Eric Fisher drove in the first two runs of the game with a single through the right side, and Tyler Spoon and followed and made it 3-0 with a base knock to left field.
Blake Baxendale capped the big inning with a single up the middle as Arkansas batted around for the eighth time on the year and the second time in the last three games.
The Rebels would fight back in their half of the first inning however, scoring three runs to cut the Arkansas lead to just a run, before scoring three more runs in the fourth frame to take the lead. Ole Miss added a single run in the fifth to complete the comeback and clinch the series.
The bullpen posted another solid outing for the Razorbacks, working 4.1 innings and allowing just two hits and one run, while striking out one. Zach Jackson, Dominic Taccolini, Jackson Lowery and Colin Poché all saw action in relief.
Fisher recorded his second three-hit game of the year and eighth multi-RBI game of the season to pace the offense, while Spoon and Wernes each chipped in a pair of hits.
The series finale is set for Sunday afternoon at Swayze Field with first pitch slated for 1:30 p.m. The Contest will be televised on CSS and ESPN3.
For more information on Arkansas baseball, follow @RazorbackBSB on Twitter.
· Arkansas sent nine batters to the plate in the first inning to bat around for the eighth time this season.
· The Razorbacks turned their SEC-leading 46th double play of the year when Brian Anderson fielded a ground ball stepped on second and threw to first to end the eighth inning.
· Eric Fisher extended his hitting streak to a season-high seven games, adding three more hits and driving in two runs.
· Arkansas moved 40-36 all-time against Ole Miss, including 19-16 in Oxford.
How They Scored
· Arkansas 2, Ole Miss 0; Top 1: Eric Fisher singled through the right side; Bobby Wernes scored from third base, Andrew Benintendi scored from second base.
· Arkansas 3, Ole Miss 0; Top 1: Tyler Spoon Singled to left field; Brian Anderson scored from third base.
· Arkansas 4, Ole Miss 0; Top 1: Blake Baxendale singled up the middle; Fisher scored from second base.
· Arkansas 4, Ole Miss 1; Bottom 1: Brantley Bell singled through the right side; Auston Bousfield scored from third base.
· Arkansas 4, Ole Miss 2; Bottom 1: Austin Anderson scored on a wild pitch.
· Arkansas 4, Ole Miss 3; Bottom 1: Sikes Orvis flied out to left field; Will Allen scored from third base.
· Arkansas 4, Ole Miss 5; Bottom 4: J.B. Woodman singled up the middle; Sikes Orvis scored from third base, Errol Robinson scored from second base.
· Arkansas 4, Ole Miss 6; Bottom 4: Auston Bousfield flied out to left field; J.B. Woodman scored from third base.
· Arkansas 4, Ole Miss 7; Bottom 5: Sikes Orvis homered to left field.
-- ArkansasRazorbacks.com || On Twitter @ArkRazorbacks || Facebook.com/ArkansasRazorbacks –