Copyright 2015 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Arkansas Softball- Navarro Scores 100th Run in Loss at #10/8 Kentucky
LEXINGTON, Ky. – The University of Arkansas softball team opened its weekend road trip with a 4-3 loss to at No. 10/8 Kentucky Friday evening at John Cropp Stadium in Lexington. Amanda Geile and Clarisa Navarro paced the offense with a pair of RBI singles in the third inning. With Friday’s setback, the Razorbacks are now 25-21 overall and 3-13 against SEC opposition.
Game two of Arkansas’ series with nationally ranked Kentucky is scheduled for a 5 p.m. (CT) starter and will also be televised by Fox Sport South. As was the case in Friday’s opener, Dick Gabriel and Jenny Dalton-Hill will handle the play-by-play and color commentary duties, respectively.
Both teams were held scoreless until the Razorbacks broke through with a three-run third inning. With runners on first and second, Navarro shot a base hit into left field that scored Chloe Oprzedek and Stephanie Canfield when the ball rolled underneath the glove of the Ginny Carroll. Navarro ended up on third and came in to score her 100th career run on the single off the bat of Geile.
In her fifth SEC start of the season, Sydney Wright gave up four hits and allowed four runs—one earned—in a season-high six innings of work. She kept Kentucky (37-8, 11-5 SEC) off the scoreboard until the fifth inning when then home team scored three unearned runs on a pair of Arkansas fielding errors. Kentucky’s only earned run of the game came on a solo home run in the sixth.
The defense turned a pair of double plays including a nice play by Navarro to start and turn a double play to end UK’s half of the sixth. Arkansas now has 19 double plays this season. The game ended when Canfield was called out for being out of the batter’s box to negate a single that would have given the Razorbacks runners on first and second with two outs.
· All-time series vs. Kentucky: Arkansas leads, 29-18
· Kentucky is the Razorbacks’ fourth top-10 opponent of the season
o Eighth single game or series against ranked opponent this season
· Increases school-record total to 327 runs scored this season
· Clarisa Navarro scored the 100th run of her career in the Razorbacks’ three-run third inning
o Fifth player in program history to score 100 career runs
· With lead-off walk in the first inning, Devon Wallace extended streak of reaching base to 20 games
o One shy of tying SEC career record and moving to ninth in NCAA history
· Sydney Wright established season high with six innings pitched
· With run in third inning Friday, @Tweetless_Varro becomes fifth player in program history with 100 career runs. #WPS #Milestone
· With two more walks Friday, @devon_wallace moves to within one of tying the SEC career record of 184 free passes. #WPS
· Saturday’s game two will once again be televised by Fox Sports South at 5p. #NeverYield #SBonTV
For more information on Arkansas softball, follow @RazorbackSB on Twitter.