OXFORD, Miss. - The Arkansas baseball team (30-20, 11-13 SEC) erased an early deficit Sunday afternoon and scored 11 unanswered runs to race past No. 10 Ole Miss (35-14, 15-9) 11-1 at Swayze Field.
Trailing by a run after an inning of play, Arkansas broke out the bats and quickly erased that deficit with a two-out rally in the second inning. After Tyler Spoon reached on a hit by pitch and Baxendale singled up the middle, Bobby Wernes and Michael Bernal delivered back-to-back RBI hits to give Arkansas its first lead of the day at 2-1.
The offense kept coming in the third inning as Eric Fisher extended his hitting streak to eight games with a two-run single to right field and Clark Eagan brought in another run as the Razorbacks extended their lead to 5-1.
Arkansas would add six more insurance runs over the final two innings and set a season-high with 16 hits on its way to a 10-run victory.
After giving up a run in the first inning, starting pitcher Chris Oliver settled in and left the bases loaded in the second frame before facing the minimum over the next five innings to take complete control of the Rebel hitters. Jacob Stone and Michael Gunn each worked hitless innings in the eighth and ninth respectively to seal the victory.
Joe Serrano and Wernes tallied three-hit games, while Eagan, Baxendale and Bernal each recorded a pair of hits in the blowout victory.
The Razorbacks return to action next weekend, welcoming Texas A&M to town for a three-game series at Baum Stadium. First pitch Friday is slated for 6:35 p.m., followed by 6:05 p.m. Saturday and 1:05 p.m. Sunday.
For more information on Arkansas baseball, follow @RazorbackBSB on Twitter.
· The Razorbacks have won at least one game in 25 straight SEC series dating back to the 2012 season, currently the second longest streak in the league.
· Arkansas picked up its eighth victory over a ranked opponent this season, including the fourth over a top 10 team.
· The Razorbacks tied a season-high with three double plays turned to bring the season total to an SEC-leading 49.
· Arkansas improved to 6-2 in SEC series finales this season.
· The 16 hits recorded by the Razorbacks marks the most in a single game this season.
· The Razorbacks batted around in the ninth inning for the ninth time this season and second time in the series, scoring four runs on four hits.
· Arkansas reached double digits in the run column for the sixth time this season and second time in SEC play.
· The Razorbacks have now reached the 30-win plateau in all 12 seasons under head coach Dave Van Horn.
· Joe Serrano recorded his team-leading 17th multi-hit game of the year and fifth three-hit contest of the season.
· In his last three starts against ranked opponents, Chris Oliver is 4-0 with wins over No. 1 South Carolina, No. 8 LSU, No. 11 Vanderbilt and now No. 10 Ole Miss.
· Eric Fisher extended his hitting streak to a season-high eight games with a two-run single in the third inning.
-- ArkansasRazorbacks.com || On Twitter @ArkRazorbacks || Facebook.com/ArkansasRazorbacks –
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.