HOOVER, Ala. - The 20th-ranked and No. 7 seed Arkansas baseball team (37-22) allowed seven two-out runs Thursday evening and fell 7-2 to 8th-ranked and No. 3 seed LSU (42-14-1) in the third round of the SEC Tournament.
The Razorbacks drop their first game of the SEC Tournament move on to an elimination game Friday at 3 p.m. against Ole Miss in a rematch of Wednesday’s contest. Arkansas is 2-2 against the Rebels this season and 4-3 all-time in the SEC Tournament.
Arkansas took an early 1-0 lead with a pair of singles from Clark Eagan and Brian Anderson in the first inning, but the Razorbacks left the bases loaded in the opening frame and LSU would quickly seize control.
The Tigers used a two-out solo home run in the second inning to knot the score 1-1, and added two more runs in the third frame to take a lead they would never relinquish. LSU went on to score seven two-out runs and snap Arkansas’ five-game winning streak.
The Razorbacks stranded six runners in the game, including two in the eighth inning after loading the bases with one out and scoring on a sacrifice fly for the final run of the game.
Landon Simpson turned in a stellar outing from the bullpen, retiring each of the first eight batters he faced before lasting 4.1 innings and allowing four hits and two runs, while striking out four. Colin Poché (3-1) suffered his first loss of the year, tossing 2.2 innings and giving up three runs on four hits.
For more information on Arkansas baseball, follow @RazorbackBSB on Twitter.
Head Coach Dave Van Horn Quotes
Opening comment: “It was a tough loss for us. We knew runs would be hard to come by facing Aaron Nola. We had an opportunity in the first, got a sacrifice fly from Brian (Anderson). He hit the ball really hard there. You just don’t get too many shots at him (Nola). We have another day tomorrow. We will see what happens.”
· The Razorbacks move to 25-34 all-time in the SEC Tournament.
· Arkansas opened the SEC Tournament with two wins followed by a loss for the second straight season.
· Arkansas advances to Friday’s action and a rematch with 10th-ranked and No. 2 seed Ole Miss at 3 p.m.
· The Razorbacks moved to 3-3 all-time against the No. 3 seed in the SEC Tournament.
· Arkansas is 3-7 against LSU in the SEC Tournament, including 1-2 over the last two years.
· Landon Simpson’s 4.1 innings pitched is his longest outing of the year.
· Andrew Benintendi extended his hitting streak to 8 games and Clark Eagan extended his to 7 games.
Copyright 2016 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.