Whether families are flying or driving to their summer destination, what you do before you leave home might be the most important.
Summer brings more daylight hours, more individuals staying out later, and often an increase in property crimes. A vast majority of thieves look for what Fort Smith Police terms “targets of opportunity.” There are many things you can do to avoid becoming one of the victims, especially when you are going to be away from your home for an extended period of time.
Burglary deterrence tips:
· Don’t tell everyone about your vacation plans.
· If you use social media, post pictures from your vacation after you return home.
· If available, use a house sitter.
· Arrange to have mail and deliveries picked up by a trustworthy neighbor.
· Leave a car in the driveway.
· Have outside lights turned on and off with a timer.
· Ask trustworthy neighbors to check your house regularly. Leave a number with them where you can be located.
· Make sure all doors and windows are locked and secure.