HOT SPRINGS, Ark. (AP) — A bacteria that can cause Legionnaire’s disease has been found in the showers of a Hot Springs spa.
The Arkansas Department of Health said Friday that Legionella bacteria was found within Quapaw Baths & Spa and the shower where water taken from a spring was cooled before use has been closed for cleaning.
Legionnaire’s disease is a type of potentially fatal pneumonia, but is treatable with antibiotics. The health department said it began investigating after three people with the disease reported staying at the spa.
The department says thermal spring water at public fountains is safe while further testing continues.
The spa said in a statement to local media it is cooperating with the department and asked for an investigation to determine the source of the contamination.