Man accused of killing jail cellmate granted continuance

KNWA

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (KNWA) — The man accused of killing his cellmate in jail was granted a continuance.

Twenty-two-year-old Dekota Harvey was originally to make an appearance in court last month but a judge postponed his court appearance to today.

The continuance now pushes Harvey’s next court date to June 8.

According to the Washington County Sheriff’s Office, Harvey admitted to strangling and killing 29-year-old Luis Cobos-Cenobio.

Harvey told jailers that Cobos-Cenobio wanted him to do it.

Sheriff Tim Helder said the victim had previously been on suicide watch but had been taken off the months beforehand.

In September, Harvey and his legal team also requested a continuance on his previous charges of attempted capital murder and capital murder.

In March 2019, Harvey pleaded guilty to shooting his ex-girlfriend in the leg and her friend in the chest killing her.

If convicted, Harvey could face life in prison or the death penalty.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Interactive Radar
Live Stream
Forecast
Share Your Photos
Interactive Radar
Live Stream
Forecast
Weather Alerts

Latest Video

Local News Video

DON'T MISS

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories

get the app

News App

Weather App

Mega Millions & Powerball Numbers