Daymara Baker, Owner, of Rockin Baker, along with bakers Kristy Backer, Pastry Chef and Brittney join Good Day NWA to celebrate National Pie Day.
Rockin’ Baker seeks to empower lives by providing education and on-the-job skills training for the underserved members in our community. To learn more about Rockin’ Baker Academy and its mission, click here.
Checkout recipes below so you can celebrate National Pie Day at home.
Chocolate Cream Filling
Whole Milk 625g
Egg Yolks 4 large
Chocolate, chopped 85g
1. Mix sugar, salt and cornstarch.
2. Mix together milk and egg yolks, and add to sugar mixture until combined.
3. Pour into a pot and stir continuously until thickened.
4. Slowly add butter in small pieces until melted.
5. Add chocolate and vanilla in small additions until fully melted.
6. Pour into pre-baked pie shell, cover with plastic and place in the fridge until cold.
7. Served with your choice of toasted nuts and/or whipped cream.
Pastry Flour 200g
Cold Butter 140g
Cold Water 60g
1. Scale dry ingredients in medium-sized bowl.
2. Cut in butter until pea sized pieces remain.
3. Add water and knead until dough forms.
4. Wrap in plastic and let chill for at least an hour. Can be kept in fridge, tightly wrapped for up to a week.
5. Roll out dough to desired shape at between 1/4 and 1/8 inch. Place in pie tin.
6. Fill, fold and egg wash the top and bake at 325F for about 15 minutes or
until golden brown.
7. If using a filling that doesn’t need to be baked, bake pie shell with pie weights inside at 325F until golden.
Fresh or frozen fruit 300g
Spices As desired
Cornstarch slurry If needed
1. Scale fruit, sugar and spices in a pot.
2. Cook until fruit is soft, smash if desired.
3. If compote is not thick, add a mixture of cornstarch and water about 1 tsp at a time. Boil while mixing to insure no lumps form. Keep adding until desired thickness is reached.
4. Cool and keep in the fridge for two weeks, freezer for a month.