Arkansas Welcome Centers across the state invite travelers and residents to participate in the 36th annual National Travel and Tourism Week May 5-11.
The centers will host events throughout the week to showcase how tourism builds communities and enhances lives throughout Arkansas and the U.S.
This year’s theme is “Travel Matters.” Join the conversation on social media by using #nttw19.
Below is a list of activities in NWA and the River Valley.
The Bella Vista/Bentonville Welcome Center’s schedule is:
- Beginning May 7: Visitors may pick up Arkansas stickers, Riceland Rice samples, House of Webster jelly samples, Cavender’s Greek Seasoning samples and bottled water. Arkansas State Park staff will visit the center with items and artifacts for travelers to learn about.
The El Dorado Welcome Center’s schedule is:
- May 7, 11 a.m.: The center will host a travel rally with special guests from the community. Moro Bay State Park interpreters will be onsite with an alligator and the Union County Master Gardeners will be available for gardening questions. Information about surrounding state parks will also be on display. Visitors may sample Westrock Coffee, Riceland Rice and Cavender’s Greek Seasoning.
The Harrison Welcome Center’s schedule is:
- May 7, “Rally Day”: Visitors will receive refreshments and snacks throughout the day. Local Radio Station KHOZ (102.9 The Z) will broadcast live from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Mayor Jerry Jackson will make a proclamation and help greet visitors. Representatives from the Buffalo National River and other local tourism organizations will be in attendance.
- May 11, noon: Musician “Unkle” Dave Brancecum will be joined by Crystal & Lillyanne McCool for a bluegrass performance sponsored by the Ozark Folk Center State Park in Mountain View. Bull Shoals State Park will also be present to share information.
For more information, contact Leesha Miller, Harrison Welcome Center manager, 870-741-3343.
The Siloam Springs Welcome Center’s events are:
- Throughout the week: Visitors may pick up Little Debbie snacks, Cavender’s Greek Seasoning and Day Spring pocket calendars.
- May 10: The Center will serve a lunch of hot dogs and barbeque chicken sandwiches with baked beans, potato salad and bottled water from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Van Buren/Fort Smith
The Van Buren/Fort Smith Welcome Center’s events are:
- May 9: The mayors of Van Buren and Fort Smith will be onsite to greet visitors and to read an official proclamation announcing National Tourism Week. Representatives from the Advertising & Promotion Commissions from Van Buren and Fort Smith will select a lucky tourist to receive a gift basket. Visitors may sample complimentary Arkansas-made products including locally made candies and one of Arkansas’s leading agricultural exports – rice.