1. Today is National Lucky Penny Day! Finding a penny has long been considered a good omen, suggesting something good will happen in the life of the finder. To celebrate, see how many pennies you can collect today.
2. German drugs and chemicals group, Bayer says it’s willing to shell out $62B for U.S. seed giant Monsanto. That would make any tie-up between the two companies the top merger so far this year. A deal between the two, which would require regulatory approval, would be the latest example of consolidation in the argi-business and chemical sectors. Last year, Dow and Dupont combined to form a new industrial titan worth $130B.
3. For the first time in about two decades, opioid prescriptions in the US are declining. That’s according to an analysis by the New York Times. The prescriptions of the addictive painkillers have sky rocketed since 1996 when oxycontin hit the market. But the paper says the number of prescriptions peaked around 2012 and declined every year since then. According to the times, doctors may be heeding the warnings that those painkillers are highly addictive. But the drop in prescriptions is not translating yet into fewer deaths from opioids.
4. Debris from EgyptAir flight 804 has been located and recovered, but so far, noting to help investigators piece together what happened to the plane as it flew over the Mediterranean. Sixty six passengers and crew were on board the flight from Paris to Cairo. No survivors have been found. The US Navy is assisting in the search for the remainder of the wreckage including the cockpit voice recorder and the flight data recorder.
5. A pair of new polls released this weekend show some very unfavorable numbers for Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump.