BENTONVILLE, Ark. (KNWA) -- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has issued a warning about bacteria in public pools, hot tubs, and water parks.
From 2000 to 2014, 493 outbreaks in pools resulted in over 27,000 cases and 8 deaths. More than half of the outbreaks were caused by the parasite Cryptosporidium, commonly called crypto.
The Melvin Ford Aquatic Center in Bentonville is gearing up for big crowds. A strict scrubbing plan is in place, in addition to a weekly shock treatment that dumps chlorine into the pool at night to kill everything before swimmers arrive in the morning. It's a proactive move for the community pool.
"We test every single hour with a Palintest tester which is a little spectrometer. It uses light rays going straight through there to get us an accurate reading, and then we also have brand new this year it actually just came out in 2017 for the public use. It's something called a spin touch, its a centrifuge it's really fancy, we use it once a day it once a day it gives us super accurate readings, so with the spin touch and ever hour of testing we test probably 18 times a day," said Kelsey McIntyre, Recreation Specialist for Bentonville Parks and Recreation.
The Melvin Ford Aquatic Center has never had an instance where anyone got sick from their water and they hope to keep it that way.
LAS VEGAS (AP) - Melvin Dummar, a delivery driver who falsely claimed…
High school students in Rogers are making sure local foster kids…
WACO, Texas (AP) - A Texas judge on Monday accepted a plea bargain…
Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Flash Explosion Injures Two at Springdale Factory
- Siloam Springs PD Searches for Armed Robbery Suspect
- Red Kettle Campaign Pits KNWA Today Versus Evening Show
- UPDATE: Arrest Made in Shooting Death of Bethel Heights Teenager
Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- Border Patrol arrests 32 at San Diego demonstration
- The Latest: Border agents arrest 32 in San Diego protest
- Google accelerates Plus closure after another privacy lapse
- Admitted killer sentenced to 3 life terms plus max 230 years