For many people, it’s the day of love. But for chocolate makers, Valentine’s Day is the biggest time of the year.
Markham and Fitz in Bentonville worked for weeks to get ready for the big day. The company opened its doors in late 2017 when it adopted a bean to bar approach. This means that everything from the truffles, cookies and seasonal chocolate strawberries are made in house from scratch.
With Valentine’s Day being so huge for the company, owners wanted to use it for something bigger. On Wednesday, February 13, a portion of the proceeds went to the Northwest Arkansas Children’s Shelter as part of the company’s Week of Love.
“Giving back, being involved in community projects, sharing the love of chocolate and chocolate knowledge is something I’m really passionate about,” said co-owner Preston Stewart.
For those who may want to stay in for the holiday, Stewart said truffles are a good option to make at home.
1. Put finely chopped chocolate in a bowl
2. Heat 8 ounces of heavy cream to a simmer then pour over chocolate
3. Wait a minute or two for the chocolate to melt.
4. Whisk together until smooth and velvety
5. Chill in fridge overnight
6. Scoop, roll, and coat in chocolate, coconut, nuts or ingredient of your choosing.
For a list of upcoming Week of Love events at Markham & Fitz, click here.