LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — Governor Asa Hutchinson announced 649 new cases and 21 additional deaths due to COVID-19 in Arkansas at his daily press conference in Little Rock on Wednesday.
The statewide death toll due to coronavirus is now 732. Of the 21 deaths announced Wednesday, six occurred in nursing homes and one was from a correctional facility, according to Dr. Jennifer Dillaha with the Arkansas Department of Health (ADH).
There are now 5390 cases in Arkansas considered active by ADH, including:
- 4405 in the general community
- 727 in correctional facilities
- 258 in nursing homes
There have been 58,024 cumulative cases in Arkansas since the pandemic began.
The state reported 4378 test results on Wednesday, Hutchinson said, and Arkansas’ cumulative percent positive rate is currently 8.4 percent.
The net number of patients hospitalized with the virus fell by seven (435 total) in Arkansas on Wednesday.
Every school employee in Arkansas will be getting a face shield thanks to Department of Education.
Hutchinson said 70,000 face shields will soon be in the hands of school employees in every district.
He said this serves as another layer of protection against the transmission of COVID-19.
“This would be used over the masks that would be underneath the shield but I think many teachers will find this useful,” Hutchinson said.
Hutchinson said the shields will be sent out this week.
Two prisons that reported COVID-19 outbreaks earlier this summer now have no new cases.
Hutchinson said the Cummins Unit Lincoln County and the Ouachita River Unit in Malvern have reported no new infections.
He said as of now, he is not expecting visitation restrictions to change due to the risk of another outbreak.
For more information on the state’s response to the novel coronavirus, visit https://www.healthy.arkansas.gov/programs-services/topics/novel-coronavirus.
You can watch the full daily press conference from Wednesday, August 26 below: