Benton County Officials are spreading the word about an upcoming county-wide 1/8 cent sales tax vote.
A town hall meeting was held at the Gravette Civic Center Tuesday night.
The topic of the meeting is to learn more about the Benton County Courts Facility Proposal which is up for a vote on March 12.
The 1/8 cent sales tax means if you purchase an item worth $100 dollars, you would pay 12 cents in tax.
That funding would go towards a new courthouse to be built on Northeast 2nd street in Bentonville next to the old post office.
The tax would be in effect for the next four and a half years.
Benton County Judge Barry Moehring says the tax increase is long overdue but has had mixed reactions.
“No one likes additional taxes, I get that. But as we explained this issue and the history of this issue, and frankly how minimal this tax is and how people will benefit as a result of it, and it’s a limited duration, we’re finding people are being very receptive to. That’s why these town halls are so important,” Moehring said.
The presentation tonight will go over courthouse history, current challenges, proposed solutions, funding for the project, and early voting dates and locations.
This is the first of eleven town hall meetings which are all open to the public.
Organization Date/Time Location
- Gravette Town Hall Meeting Tuesday, February 5 @ 6:00 p.m. Gravette Civic Center 401 Charlotte St SE., Gravette
- NEBCO Town Hall Meeting Wednesday, February 6 @ 6:00 p.m. NEBCO 14639 S Wimpy Jones Rd., Garfield
- Prairie Creek Town Hall Meeting Wednesday, February 13 @ 6:00 p.m. Prairie Creek 14432 Hwy 12 E., Rogers
- Bella Vista Town Hall Meeting Friday, February 15 @ 10:00 a.m. Riordan Hall 3 Riordan Dr., Bella Vista
- Coffee with the Mayor Saturday, February 16 @ 9:00 a.m. City Hall Community Room 290 N. Main St., Centerton
- Bella Vista Town Hall Meeting Wednesday, February 20 @ 6:00 p.m. Bella Vista District Court 612 W. Lancashire Blvd., Bella Vista
- Pea Ridge Town Hall Meeting Thursday, February 21 @ 6:00 p.m. Pea Ridge City Hall 977 Weston St, Pea Ridge
- Lowell Town Hall Meeting Monday, February 25 @ 6:00 p.m. Lowell City Hall 216 N Lincoln St, Lowell
- Centerton Town Hall Tuesday, February 26 @ 6:00 p.m. City Hall Community Room 290 N. Main St., Centerton
- Bentonville Town Hall Meeting Wednesday, February 27 @ 6:00 p.m. Judge Green’s Courtroom 102 NE A St., Bentonville
- Siloam Springs Town Hall Meeting Monday, March 4 @ 6:00 p.m. Siloam Springs Library 205 E Jefferson St., Siloam Springs
- Rogers Town Hall Meeting Tuesday, March 5 @ 6:00 p.m. Rogers Annex 2111 W. Walnut St., Rogers