Government Shutdown Continues, President Trump Pitches Compromise

News

President Donald Trump’s latest compromise to end the partial government shutdown is hitting a wall with Democrats.

The President’s proposal includes $5.7 billion for the border wall.

But, it offers three-years of legal status to 700,000 dreamers, immigrants brought to our country as children and 300,000 refugees whose temporary protected status will expire.

“This extension will give them access to work permits, social security numbers and protection from deportation,” President Trump says.

“You think people have hurt so far? Come this Thursday, there’s going to be a second pay period without a check. And then there’s the beginning of the month, with all the bills coming due,” Senator Mark Warner says.

U.S. Senator John Boozman released a statement on the President’s announcement:

“It is promising that President Trump has brought forward a proposal to reopen the government. I am hopeful this will bring congressional leaders to the table to negotiate so we can find a solution to end this uncertainty.”
 

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss