A local agency will soon be laying off hundreds of workers.
Fort Smith’s Area Agency on Aging of Western Arkansas will let go of 200 workers on Monday, December 31.
The agency’s Pediatric Home Care transports people to receive their medical care and to treatment centers.
CEO Jennifer Hallum said although they are losing half of the business, people shouldn’t worry.
“Those beneficiaries of the Medicaid program that receive transportation will be receiving that transportation by a new vendor. The only change that will be occurring is that instead of our vans coming to pick the person up, it will be a different van.”
According to Hallum, 70 percent of those who are laid off will be part-time drivers, and the other 30 percent are full-time drivers and attendants.