Your daily look at late-breaking news, upcoming events and the stories that will be talked about today:
1. BOY SCOUTS FILE FOR BANKRUPTCY Barraged by hundreds of sex-abuse lawsuits, the 110-year-old organization hopes to work out a potentially mammoth victim compensation plan that could total $1 billion.
2. WHO QUALIFIED FOR NEVADA DEBATE Billionaire Mike Bloomberg, marking the first time he’ll stand alongside the Democratic rivals he has so far avoided by bypassing the early voting states.
3. VIRUS CLAIMS LIFE OF HOSPITAL DIRECTOR Liu Zhiming had mobilized all the resources of his hospital in Wuhan city, at the center of the outbreak, as the death toll in mainland China climbs to 1,868.
4. WHERE VIRUS IS HITTING THE WALLET HARD Palestinian markets have long been flooded by low-cost Chinese goods and traders in the West Bank fear that they will have to switch to more expensive alternatives in an already weakened economy.
5. WHITEY BULGER JUROR HAS 2ND THOUGHTS Janet Uhlar says she regrets convicting the Boston crime boss for murder after revelations that he was an unwitting participant in a secret CIA experiment that gave him LSD while he was in prison.
6. AL-SISTANI’S PASSING COULD CREATE VACUUM As the powerful Iraqi cleric ages, Iran is likely to try to exploit the void to gain more followers among Iraq’s Shiites, ambition complicated by Iraq’s wave of protests since October.
7. TRUMP CAMPAIGN ENLISTS KAREN PENCE The vice president’s wife is seen as an asset in one of the areas where they most need help — with suburban woman.
8. THRILLING DAYTONA 500 ENDS WITH HORRIFIC CRASH Denny Hamlin wins his second straight at the famed speedway, surging past Ryan Newman on the final lap of a second overtime shootout, the win coming as Newman’s car flipped in a fiery wreck.
9. NISSAN SHAREHOLDERS VENT OUTRAGE They blame the Japanese automaker’s top management for crashing stock prices, zero dividends and quarterly losses after the scandal-ridden departure of former chairman Carlos Ghosn.
10. TAYLOR SWIFT’S FATHER SAFE AFTER FIGHT WITH BURGLAR The pop star’s father recently tussled with an intruder who broke into his $4 million Florida penthouse, a newspaper is reporting.