Police: 2 Arrested after Baby Dies, Corpse Hidden in Closet


FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. — Two suspects were arrested after police say a one-year-old infant was shaken to death, and its corpse hidden in a closet. 

The Fayetteville Police Department said Tyler Hobbs, 21, of Farmington was arrested and faces charges of first-degree murder and abuse of a corpse. Authorities said Maria Giron-Molina, 21, of Decatur was also arrested in the case and faces a charge of abuse of a corpse. 

On Monday, Hobbs called officers and said the baby fell down some stairs, according to police. Hobbs told authorities he performed CPR on the child, and it started breathing again, but then it later stopped. The suspect said the incident had happened a few days prior, and he got scared. So, he called to turn himself in. 

Hobbs told police over the phone the child died on October 15 while he was under the influence of marijuana, according to authorities. The suspect said he wrapped the child in blankets and placed it in a container in the closet. 

When officers arrived, they found a baby’s corpse in the closet as Hobbs had said. 

The arrest report states the corpse was in a state of “advanced decomposition,” and maggots were present. A foul odor and flies filled the apartment, authorities said. 

Both suspects came to the police station. Hobbs repeated his earlier story, but Giron-Molina said she was told her child fell at the park. 

Police noted bruising on the baby’s face around the jaw, eyebrow and under the eye. 

Hobbs later changed his story to say the child was crying uncontrollably, and he had a headache. He said the child knocked a picture frame and lamp off of a bedside table. When he covered the child’s mouth to muffle the crying, Hobbs said it hit and scratched him. At that point, Hobbs told police he shook the child back and forth. 

An arrest report states the suspect reported passing out after the baby was shaken, and when he regained consciousness, the baby wasn’t breathing. He reportedly performed CPR on the baby and got it breathing again, but the infant later died without medical attention, authorities said. 

Hobbs expressed “remorse” for his actions and told police he didn’t intend to harm the child. 

His bond has been set at $750,000, according to jail records. Giron-Molina’s bond has been set at $500,000. 

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video


More Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Follow KNWA & FOX24 on Facebook

get the app

News App

Weather App

Follow @KNWAFOX24 on Twitter

Mega Millions & Powerball Numbers