SPRINGDALE, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — Senator John Boozman was in Springdale to designate the Butterfield Overland Trail as a National Historic Trail.
This trail was used to transport mail to various states, serving as the route of the longest stagecoach operation in history.
In 2009, a bill was introduced to congress to see if the Butterfield Trail would be elligible to be on the national trails list and after many years it said yes.
Last week, a bill was introduced that makes the trail officially part of the system.
“We’re really excited about that, honoring the pioneers that were able to do this but also keeping these structures which are very imporant to our heritage,” he said.
Four segments of the roads that the trail traveled over have been listed on the national register of historic places.
- Districts in need of more subs and bus drivers
- Remembering Bentonville West Senior Oliver “Oa” Doctorello
- NWA Council, EngageNWA to host voter participation forum
- Trump won’t commit to peaceful transfer of power if he loses
- ‘Rally Off Exit 86’ motorcycle event kicks off today without ‘Bikes Blues & BBQ’