If you and your family are traveling for spring break, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind.
For people flying out of XNA, make sure you give yourself plenty of time. This time of year, there will be several more inexperienced travelers which may slow down TSA lines.
To get to your gate faster:
- Get to the airport at least one hour before your flight.
- Think about what you’re wearing. Things with sequins or metals could set off alarms.
- Pack smart and make sure food and liquids in carry-on bags are appropriate. Click here to see what you can and can’t bring.
Parking at the airport may also be an issue with the influx of passengers, XNA Director Kelly Johnson, said.
“If you park in the economy lot, our parking lots do tend to fill during spring break,” Johnson said. “So give yourselves time to get from the parking lot to the building.”
When you get to your destination, Sergeant Tony Murphy with the Fayetteville Police Department had a few suggestions.
- Don’t post about leaving town on social media until after you get back. You don’t want to make your home a target for a break in. Also, have someone pick up newspapers and mail so it doesn’t pile up.
- Make sure you know where emergency services are located and how to reach them.
- If you’ll be in the water, don’t let your child get more than an arm’s length away from you.
“We want everyone to return safely,” Sergeant Murphy said. “Once your vacation is over don’t get too down about it. Just come back, you know you have to go to work so travel safely back. Make sure everyone is buckled up and just drive safe.”