UPDATE: Cave Springs Boil Order Lifted

News

UPDATE:  The City of Cave Springs reports the boil order has been lifted as of Monday, March 11.

The Arkansas Department of Health (ADH) released the ‘boil water’ notice that was placed in effect on March 7.  

A water main break was the cause for the boil order, according to the ADH.

ORIGINAL STORY:

People living in Cave Springs are raising concerns after a precautionary boil order was partially lifted on Saturday, March 9. 

The area affected was south of Wallis Road. A city official stated on Facebook that a contractor hit a four-inch line, and the water department was repairing the leak.   

Water samples have been sent to the Arkansas Department of Health (ADH) for testing.

“If I were going camping then I would understand having to have a cooler with ice and bottled water, but I’m not camping,” said resident Belinda Biles.

Biles and City Council member Angie Caruthers live in the area previously under the boil order. They said many people with compromised immune systems live in the area nearby.

“They are just going to be much more likely to get sick from things they may be ingesting,” Caruthers said. 

“Our neighborhood has approximately 200 children in it, several of those children have immune compromised systems and we have several newborns,” Biles said.

Although the precautionary boil order is has been lifted as of today, according to the city’s Facebook page anyone who lives off Bright Street still falls under that boil order.

“We have been posting updates on Facebook….we are notifying [residents] and we are on top of it. I have been on the phone this morning [Saturday] with the health department,” said City of Cave Springs Mayor Randall Noblett.

Noblett said the city has been doing its part to take care of the situation and is currently waiting on the health department to give an all-clear after sending in water samples.

“It’s being addressed to the best of our abilities, it’s simply the health department doesn’t have the answer yet and it will be Monday before they go back to work on it,” Noblett said. 

But many people say the lack of communication has left a bad taste in their mouth and they want to be better notified.

“The suggestion I made was SMS or Push text notifications because our water department does have contact information and in today’s world everyone has a smartphone or tablet or some device,” Bile said.

“I think the core of it comes down to is that this particular lack of communication could result in public health and safety issues,” Caruthers said. 

Mayor Randall Noblett wrote, “after ongoing discussions with the Arkansas Department of Health, Bright Street residents remain under a boil order until further completion of test results, which are now due on Monday morning [March 11].”

Areas that were under a “precautionary boil order” — located south of Wallis Road — have been lifted.

Noblett also apologized for the delayed response to constituents of Cave Springs and explained, “accuracy dictated a series of interactions with the Health Department this morning and early afternoon [Saturday, March 9].”

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

FOX24 Video

TOP STORIES

More News

DON'T MISS

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Follow KNWA & FOX24 on Facebook

get the app

News App

Weather App

Follow @KNWAFOX24 on Twitter

Mega Millions & Powerball Numbers