UPDATE: Damaged Gas Line in Fayetteville Repaired

News
gas_1548808223241.PNG

UPDATE:  At approximately 10:30 p.m. Black Hills Energy crews completed repairs to the damaged gas line and soon after, technicians began going door to door to relight each customer whose gas was turned off.  

At locations where there is no one home or the business is closed, employees will leave a tag on the door, notifying the customer that the natural gas has been shut off and to call the company to have it turned back on.

Customers can call 888-890-5554 for assistance with any natural gas service issues.

Original Story

Black Hills Energy is responding to a damaged gas line near the 1200 block of James Avenue in Fayetteville, Arkansas, according to the energy company.

Service has been temporarily interrupted for approximately 150 Black Hills Energy customers.

Their technicians are working to make repairs and restore service as soon as possible, and additional crews are coming in from surrounding areas, according to the Black Hills Energy spokesperson. 

To fix the issue, technicians will be going house to house to turn off the 150 affected gas meters in the area.

After making repairs Black Hills Energy crews will then go door to door to relight pilot lights, according to the spokesperson. 

At locations where no one is home or the business is closed, Black Hills Energy employees will leave a tag on the door, notifying the customer that the natural gas has been shut off and to call the company to have it turned back on.

Repairs are estimated to be completed within four to six hours, and further updates on service restoration will be provided as they become available, the spokesperson said. 

The agency said it is extremely important that customers do not attempt to re-light their own pilot lights on their furnaces or water heaters.

If any customer smells natural gas, they should leave their home immediately, call 9-1-1 and then call Black Hills Energy’s emergency service line at 800-694-8989.

The agency said don’t use the phone in the house where you smelled gas or turn off any lights as you leave.

If there is gas odor in the house, a spark of any kind could ignite it and cause serious property and personal injuries, according to the spokesperson.

Additional streets affected:

  • Stephens Ave.
  • North and South Maxwell
  • North Addington
  • North Garland 
  • West Hendrix 
  • West Carter 
  • Mount Comfort 
  • West James

Customers can call 888-890-5554 for assistance with any natural gas service issues or questions.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.