Centerton family of 6, and their 2 dogs, escape house fire

Northwest Arkansas News

Discarded fireworks caused the fire

CENTERTON, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — A house fire erupted in Centerton this morning, July 5, leaving a family and their pets homeless, for the moment.

The fire was caused by used fireworks.

“The family placed their used fireworks in a trash can and placed the trash can next to the house,” said Centerton Fire Chief Matt Thompson. “That caught fire next to the eaves of the house and it spread to the attic.”

Chief Thompson said the living area is okay, such as the family’s clothes and pictures, but all the electrical and attic is burned. “It could be a total loss,” said Chief Thompson in his opinion.

The Centerton Fire Department got the call at 2 a.m. about a fire at Torino Place. Bentonville and Highfill Fire Departments assisted in extinguishing the fire.

The Centerton Fire Department told KNWA/FOX24 they cleared the scene at 5: 30 a.m.

Neighbors are helping out the family, and a friend who lives in the neighborhood has organized a fundraiser.

“They’ve already had a tremendous outpouring of offers of help and are so grateful as they try to figure out the next step,” said Centerton Mayor Bill Edwards. “Number one will be finding a place for them to rent,” he said.

“There were no injures,” said Chief Thompson, “the husband, wife, four children, and two pets made it out safely.”

Chief Thompson said at the same time another house caught fire because of fireworks. “It was the same scenario, but it only melted some of the soffits of the house and burned the air conditioner wires — the rest of the house is fine.”

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

FOX24 Video

TOP STORIES

More News

Local News Video

DON'T MISS

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Follow KNWA & FOX24 on Facebook

get the app

News App

Weather App

Follow @KNWAFOX24 on Twitter

Mega Millions & Powerball Numbers