FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — The Fayetteville City Council passed a hate crime ordinance Tuesday, October 20.
The ordinance adds a hate crime component to “certain state criminal misdemeanors” and allows prosecutors to show evidence that crimes were hate-based.
The misdemeanors that fall under the new hate crime ordinance are:
- Battery in the Third Degree
- Assault in the Second and Third Degrees
- Terroristic Threatening
- Criminal Mischief in the First and Second Degrees
- Filing False report with law enforcement agency
- Disorderly Conduct
- Harassing Communication
- Communication of a False Alarm
- Threatening a fire or bombing
- Stalking in the Third Degree