Fort Smith woman dies from smoke inhalation after using stove for heat

River Valley News

FORT SMITH, Ark. (KNWA/KFTA) — A Fort Smith woman is dead from a kitchen fire after using a stove as a source of heat.

Around 3:30 p.m. Monday, the Fort Smith Fire Department responded to a report of a structure fire in the 3400 block of S 96th Street.

When units arrived, crews found a home with heavy smoke coming from the structure. Firefighters quickly made entry into the home and found a woman laying on the floor only feet from the front door.

Once the woman was outside, emergency crews started life-saving measures. She was taken to Mercy Hospital Fort Smith and was later transferred to Washington Regional in Fayetteville.

Fort Smith Fire Marshal Ethan Millard said 76-year-old Ann Brambl was using her stovetop as a source of heat Monday when he believes clutter from the kitchen fell onto the hot burners and caught fire.

Millard said Brambl died Tuesday from smoke inhalation.

Smoke detectors were inside the home but not working, according to Millard.

One firefighter was injured while putting out the fire. The firefighter cut his right wrist and was taken to a nearby hospital where he received stitches. He was later released and is going to be OK.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Video

FOX24 Video

TOP STORIES

More News

Local News Video

DON'T MISS

More Don't Miss

Trending Stories

Follow KNWA & FOX24 on Facebook

get the app

News App

Weather App

Follow @KNWAFOX24 on Twitter

Mega Millions & Powerball Numbers